Laptops are still an important piece of travel equipment for many people in the era of remote work and the booming tourism industry. Your smartphone may be enough to take photos and keep in touch. But if you are traveling for business or working as a writer, videographer, or photographer, you definitely need a laptop.
When we talk about laptops for the so-called digital nomads, four characteristics are crucial compared to the others: weight, battery life, versatility, and storage.
Laptops, Chromebooks, Ultrabooks, and various MacBooks are ideal for traveling, as they have enough storage space despite their lightness, have long battery life, and are versatile in terms of functionality.
Laptops refer to your basic budget laptops with about 16 GB of storage and the Windows 10 operating system. Meanwhile, Chromebooks are unique laptops because they run on Google’s Chrome OS, which means users have to be online to use them.
The term Ultrabook was coined by Intel Corp in 2011 as a marketing term in light of competition against the MacBook Air, which is another travel-friendly laptop. Today, the term Ultrabook loosely refers to an ultra-thin laptop.
Best Chromebook: Asus Chromebook Flip C434
The main feature of this 14-inch Chromebook, which is larger than its 12.5-inch predecessor c302ca, is its 360-degree hinged design that allows you to flip the screen all the way to the back so that you can use it as a tablet. The 3.1-pound product also has a backlit keyboard and a 10-hour battery life.
Best Travel MacBook: MacBook Air 2019
- The 2019 MacBook Air features a 13.3-inch high-resolution Retina display with an 8th Generation Intel Core i5 processor and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports.
- It is lightweight at 2.8 pounds and has a battery life of up to 12 hours. The MacBook Air also has a Touch ID fingerprint system and a T2 chip for added security.
- Best travel laptop for photo and video editors: MacBook Pro or Dell XPS 15
The 15-inch MacBook Pro and the 15-inch Dell XPS 15 work well for people who need to work on photos and videos while traveling.
- Both products have up to 32 GB of RAM. You can choose to upgrade your MacBook Pro with an AMD Vega 20 graphics card with 4 GB of HBM2 memory. Meanwhile, the main selling point of the Dell XPS 15 is its 4K OLED display. Both laptops weigh less than 5 pounds.
The best 2-in-1: Microsoft Surface Book 2 or Lenovo Yoga 920
- Some laptops are called 2-in-1 or hybrid because they combine the functionality of a laptop and a tablet.
- The 15-inch Microsoft Surface Book 2 is considered a high-end hybrid due to its suite of superior features, including a 3.2K x 2.1k high-resolution display, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card and up to 17 hours of battery life.
- Meanwhile, for a affordable alternative, the 13.9-inch Lenovo Yoga 920 weighs roughly 3 pounds. Equipped with a 4K UHD touch screen, it works quickly thanks to the 1 TB SSD.
- Work on your documents, images and videos with ease and efficiency anywhere in the country or around the world. Visit your favorite store that sells laptops today and choose the model that suits your travel needs!
Give new life to your gadgets
At Gadget Salvation, our mission is to contribute as much as possible to the electronic device resale market in order to extend the life of our gadgets and reduce waste. Our process is simple and transparent.
- Answer a few questions and get an estimate.
- Ship your gadget for free.
- Get paid within two business days of receiving your gadget.